Tacoma had another great pitching performance, limiting Colorado Springs to seven hits (all singles) in a 3-1 victory on Tuesday night.
The win wrapped up a 4-1 series victory over Colorado Springs. Couple that with Salt Lake’s ninth inning meltdown against Las Vegas last night, and Tacoma pulled within four games of the first place Bees.
Now the Rainiers head to Tucson for five games. Salt Lake is going to Reno for five. Then, the two teams meet at Cheney Stadium for a four-game series starting on Monday night.
That series could be a lot of fun. If the Rainiers are within striking distance, look out.
Taijuan Walker tossed five scoreless innings last night, needing 103 pitches (which is why he was lifted). Brian Moran and Josh Kinney kept the Sky Sox off the scoreboard until the ninth, when they finally got a run.
Tacoma pitched 23 consecutive scoreless innings over three games – the longest streak of the season.
Offensively, it was just a couple of dingers. Abraham Almonte lined a two-run shot in the third inning, and Joe Dunigan ripped a solo blast in the fifth. Both homers came off Sky Sox starter Chris Volstad, who has a lot of big league experience.
Now it’s on to Tucson. The Padres have won two straight in Sacramento, but lost four in a row before that – and won six straight prior to that. They’re streaky right now.
Tucson has been cleaning up at home lately, winning nine of their last 11 at Kino Stadium. They are in their final days in Arizona; the team is moving to El Paso next year. The Rainiers are not their final home opponent – thank goodness; we don’t need to get blown out by a swell of hometown emotion.
Tonight’s game is at 7:05 (Pacific), and you can hear it on South Sound Sports 850 AM, streaming right here, and available via the TuneIn app for iPads and smart phones. Tacoma starts RHP Blake Beavan (4-5, 5.75) against Tucson RHP Anthony Bass (3-6, 5.93).
- We’ve got a Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Mariners took advantage of an Oakland A’s bullpen blowup.
- Thank you, Las Vegas! The 51s scored four in the ninth to beat Salt Lake, 6-3. They went into Salt Lake City and took four of the five games.
- Tucson – Tacoma’s opponent today – salvaged the series at Sacramento last night. The River Cats fell one game behind Las Vegas in the Pac-South.
- This George Springer guy is going absolutely bonkers for Oklahoma City, and the RedHawks won their 17th straight home game.
That’s it for today – our final tough travel day of the season. Or perhaps I should say regular season?