Las Vegas picked up a 7-1 win over Tacoma on Sunday afternoon, tying the EIGHT GAME MEGA SERIES 2-2 as the home field changes today. The series resumes in Las Vegas tonight.
Sunday’s game was super-tight through seven innings, with Vegas holding a 2-1 lead, but the 51s scored five times in the eighth with Brandon Hicks launching a grand slam.
Brandon Maurer pitched very well for Tacoma, allowing one run in six innings, but he was out-dueled.
Las Vegas starter Carlos Torres pitched a complete game two-hitter. One of the hits was a leadoff bunt single in the seventh inning by Brad Miller, which lead to the only Tacoma run.
Torres pitched a 3-hit shutout and a 2-hit complete game this week. If he doesn’t win the PCL Pitcher of the Week Award, I’ll eat this blog.
The Rainiers still lead the division, by 2.5 games over Colorado Springs. The Sky Sox were shut out by a Reno Aces pitcher named Zeke Spruill yesterday.
Look for a ton of Las Vegas roster moves today – the major league Mets are in a free fall, and are making many changes.
Tacoma had some moves of note: the Rainiers added veteran catcher Jason Jaramillo yesterday. Jaramillo, 30, was released by Oklahoma City on June 1. He has parts of three years in the majors with the Pittsburgh Pirates, including the entire 2009 season.
Also, Tacoma’s Andrew Carraway is going to miss (hopefully only) one start with some muscular tightness in his back. Brian Sweeney will start in his spot in the rotation.
Tonight’s game is at 7:05, and you can hear it on South Sound Sports 850 AM and streaming online right here. It’s the first game of a 12-game road trip for Tacoma – the team’s longest roadie of the year. Tacoma starts RHP Hector Noesi (0-0, 10.80) against Las Vegas RHP Chris Schwinden (3-5, 5.72).
- Leading off, it’s the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Denver Post has a story on Tacoma manager John Stearns – that’s his hometown newspaper.
- Felix Hernandez had a good start, but the Mariners lost to the Yankees, 2-1.
- The Mariners continue to look for offense. John McGrath suggests that the Mariners should promote Brad Miller, while Geoff Baker says they should promote Dustin Ackley.
- Tacoma hitting coach Howard Johnson reviewed Zack Wheeler of Las Vegas.
- The Mets made a ton of moves – this is going to be a very different Las Vegas team the Rainiers will face now.
- Reno’s Zeke Spruill pitched a complete game shutout against Colorado Springs – very impressive, especially at Aces Ballpark.
- Kole Calhoun is playing well, heping Salt Lake to an 8-2 record over their past ten games. The Bees beat Fresno yesterday, 6-4.
- Tucson salvaged the final game against Sacramento, 4-2, to avoid a sweep. Logan Forsythe homered twice.
- The Iowa Cubs are getting impressive play from young Junior Lake, but yesterday it was old pro Brad Nelson who homered twice in a 10-7 win over Round Rock.
- Speaking of ex-Rainiers, Adam Moore belted a three-run dinger in Omaha’s 7-0 win over Oklahoma City.
- Nashville slugger Hunter Morris ripped his 13th homer in a 5-3 win at Memphis.
- I need a six-figure restaurant endorsement deal. Any takers out there?
Twelve day road trip. Yikes!