I thought the Rainiers were going to get started on a winning streak here in Salt Lake City, but the club stumbled slightly and lost to the Bees on Sunday night, 5-3.
Salt Lake scored five runs in the bottom of the first inning after the Rainiers failed to turn a double play that would have ended the inning with no runs scoring.
After that first inning, Jeremy Bonderman and Lucas Luetge shut out the Bees for the remainder of the game.
The offense put three runs on the scoreboard, with Carlos Triunfel driving in all of them. There were a couple of missed scoring opportunities, but nothing egregious – just a few chances with two outs, when a clutch hit would have gotten the job done. Triunfel was the only guy to come through with two outs yesterday.
Tacoma is 9-9 on the year. It feels like this team is ready to string together a bunch of wins – the starting rotation is strong, and the lineup is dangerous.
Tonight’s game is at 5:35 (Pacific). Tacoma starts LHP James Paxton (1-1, 3.68) against Salt Lake RHP A.J. Schugel (0-1, 8.25). The broadcast airs on South Sound Sports 850 AM and streams online right here.
- The Rainiers game story from The News Tribune has… wait for it… details on last night’s Rainiers game.
- It’s been a tough start for the Mariners, who saw the word “clobbered” appear in a headline today.
- Ryan Divish’s Mariners notebook has several good items in it.
- In the PCL, Tyler Colvin‘s two-run single gave Colorado Springs its fourth walk-off win of the season – and they’ve only played nine home games. The Sky Sox beat Vegas, 8-7.
- Sky Sox corner man Matt McBride is learning to catch to try to reach the majors.
- Reno hung a 10-spot on the Sacramento River Cats.
- Tucson shortstop Dean Anna – whom I had never heard of until this morning – homered twice in a 5-4 win at Fresno.
- The Salt Lake Bees are rotating through three catchers.
- Brett Pill is healthy for Fresno, and that’s trouble for PCL pitchers.
- Round Rock super-prospect Jurickson Profar hit a grand slam home run to dead center field in a 7-1 win over New Orleans. “I hit it good,” he said.
- Albuquerque got beat up by Oklahoma City, but the Isotopes looked awesome in their Negro Leagues replica uniforms.
- Omaha coasted to an 8-3 win at Nashville.
Heads up: we have an early game on Tuesday, at 11:05 AM Pacific time.