I’m off to Fresno to get ready for tomorrow’s PCL opener.
The Rainiers are having a team workout at Chukchansi Park today, and if my flight is on time I should be able to catch the end of it. I’ll also visit with manager Daren Brown and find out who our opening day starting pitcher will be. I plan to post an update here in the evening.
Fresno broadcaster Doug Greenwald says that Fresno’s opening day starter will be former Rainiers RHP Yusmeiro Petit. Petit had an excellent season in the PCL last year. finishing second in the league with a 3.46 ERA.
- Break up the Mariners! They whupped the A’s last night, 7-1. Mike Morse – one of 12 former Rainiers on the Mariners roster* – hit a pair of home runs, including a three-run blast.
- I enjoyed the title of Ryan Divish’s post-game blog post. Who are these guys?
- Opening Day rosters are being announced throughout the PCL. Here’s a look at the Tucson Padres, who have a lot of returning players.
- The Colorado Springs Sky Sox roster features an interesting starting rotation that includes major league veteran Aaron Cook. Touted third base prospect Nolan Arenado is on the team.
- The Houston Astros wave of prospects hasn’t reached Triple-A yet: Oklahoma City has just one of the Astros top-10 prospects on its roster.
- Former Dodgers shortstop Dee Gordon has a positive attitude about his assignment to Albuquerque.
- The Round Rock Express spruced up their already-nice stadium, adding a big video board.
This is going to make some of you feel old: today is Chris Bosio‘s 50th birthday.
* if you want to count the many rehabilitation assignments of Franklin Gutierrez, you can bump that number up to 13.