We’re still waiting on a Rainiers roster, which seems to be taking longer than usual for some reason – perhaps they are making some late decisions down in Arizona.
Tacoma opens on Thursday in Fresno (7:05 scheduled first pitch). We’ll have the broadcast live in the South Sound on 850 AM, and it’s supposed to stream online through the Rainiers main site (I always keep my fingers crossed on this one because it is totally out of my hands, but last year the stream was up and running beautifully on opening day). I’ll have more broadcast details for you on Thursday.
Just checked my email again – still no roster. So, instead, have a bunch of links:
- The Mariners won their 7th straight season-opening game, shutting out Oakland, 2-0. Felix Hernandez always starts on opening day, so thus the streak.
- Felix Hernandez gives the Mariners hope, Larry Stone writes.
- Here is the Seattle Times news story on Jason Bay making the team.
- Ryan Divish previewed the Mariners offense.
- John McGrath has a dozen reasons to love the 2013 Mariners.
- Meet the Mariners with player “cards” from The News Tribune.
- At USS Mariner, Dave Cameron posted his thoughts on the Mariners 2013 season.
- There is a new book about the Seattle Pilots, and Peter Callaghan tells us about it.
- From Lookout Landing, we have six degrees of Brian Sweeney – dating back 115 years.
- Ex-Rainiers appearing in the latest round of Baseball America’s minor league transactions: Matt Mangini was released by the Reds, and reliever Mark Lowe signed with Salt Lake.
- Here is a big feature from Boston on former Rainiers star Mike Carp.
- We have our first division rival opening day roster: the Reno Aces have pitching prospects Tyler Skaggs and Randall Delgado, plus veteran Triple-A slugger Kila Ka’aihue.
- Another division rival, the Salt Lake Bees have a roster.
- The Fresno Grizzlies roster is set – these are the guys Tacoma will be playing against on Thursday.
- Sacramento has set a roster – we’ll see them in Sactown on Monday. Michael Choice is a new player to watch.
- Popular former Rainiers slugger Brad Nelson highlights the Iowa Cubs roster.
- Big news out of New Orleans, and not exactly the story you want to see leak on the eve of opening day, but… the Zephyrs may be on the move to suburban Houston. New Orleans-to-suburban-Houston may trump Hawaii-to-Colorado Springs as the worst franchise move in PCL history, if it happens.
Roster coming when I get it…