Sort of, anyway. The Mariners and Padres meet today in Peoria, Arizona in their annual charity game.
The game doesn’t count in the official Cactus League standings. And of course, the Cactus League doesn’t count for anything, anyway. What does it mean? Does it have any meaning at all? I need a psychiatrist over here. Or maybe a philosopher. Does anybody know a practicing philosopher?
Anyway, it’s baseball! A real game, between two MLB teams. Spring training baseball is happening.
Today is the last day of the Ivar’s Opening Weekend deal, where you get a reserved ticket plus a meal for just ten bucks. This deal is internet only, and I’m guessing it comes down around 5:00 today. Grab it right here if you are interested.
- We start with a news video from a Phoenix television station on Rainiers pitcher Anthony Vasquez and his return from emergency brain surgery.
- Todd Dybas wrote a feature on Rainiers pitcher Danny Hultzen trying to overcome the struggles he went through last year.
- Have you seen the new look at the Rainiers official website? Big improvement, it’s not as “busy” as before. Nice job by this guy and MiLB.com!
- Larry Stone has more on the defensive position of Stefen Romero, the potential Rainiers infielder we looked at on Wednesday. Stone also noted Romero’s similarity to Vinnie Catricala.
- It sounds like Michael Morse is already a leader on this Mariners team.
- The News Tribune caught up with Mariners closer Tom Wilhelmsen.
- Michael Saunders is using his noodle. Hey, whatever works. This story has some details on the mysterious hitting coach generally known as Josh Bard’s Brother.
- PCL news: it has been announced that the Durham Bulls will host the 2014 Triple-A All-Star Game. This year it will be in Reno.
- To get you into the weekend, MLB released a ton of video clips from the 1980s and 1990s today. Here’s Pedro Martinez drilling Reggie Sanders on purpose – ruining his own bid for a perfect game. I always loved Pedro – he needs to start a comeback attempt in the PCL this year.
Have a great weekend!