After a Thursday off-day for travel, the PCL Championship Series resumes in Omaha with Game Three tonight at 5:05 (Pacific). The best-of-five series is tied, 1-1.
Reno is starting RHP Joe Martinez (10-11, 5.39) against Omaha RHP Nathan Adcock (8-6, 5.53). You can follow along here.
- The Omaha newspaper has a preview of Game Three.
- The Toronto Blue Jays avoided a sweep by beating up on Felix Hernandez and the Mariners last night, 8-3. I hate it when Felix gets knocked around – fortunately, it doesn’t happen very often.
- In the game, Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager pulled off the Manny Machado Play.
- The Mariners Double-A Jackson affiliate lost Game Three of the Southern League finals to Mobile, 4-2. It was a two-run homer in the tenth inning that did them in. Mobile leads the series, 2-1.
- The Mariners extended their Player Development Contract with every existing affiliate that didn’t already have one. Tacoma signed through 2014 in conjunction with the Cheney Stadium renovation two years ago.
- Four legitimate PCL players made Baseball America’s Minor League All-Star team. One Mariner is included: reliever Carter Capps. They have him listed with Tacoma even though he pitched in just one game for the Rainiers, and he never set foot inside Cheney Stadium. We’ll take credit anyway.
- Rosters for the World Baseball Classic qualifying teams are leaking out. The Mariners have a couple of Class-A players who are on Team Israel.
- The PCL’s move of the Tucson franchise to El Paso may hinge on a vote this Tuesday – and it appears that the mayor is getting fiesty.
Check back over the weekend for the results of the PCL championship.