The big trade still hasn’t become official. There have been multiple reports that the players involved have not all completed physical exams yet – this is taking awhile because all four players are in either the Dominican Republic or Venezuela.
Once the trade is officially announced, I’ll share my opinion of it.
Remember, the Mariners and Yankees had a deal worked out in 2010 (Cliff Lee for Jesus Montero and other prospects) that was scratched due to one of the prospects not passing a physical. The Mariners were right in that case – the player in question, Yankees minor league infielder David Adams, did not play again in 2010 after the aborted trade, and he managed to play in just 12 non-rehabilitation games last year due to the same lingering injury. The M’s ended up flipping Lee to the Rangers for Justin Smoak, Blake Beavan, and Josh Lueke.
So, we’ll wait until the official announcement before I tell you how great or awful I think it is.
- Congratulations to friend and longtime Tacoma broadcaster Bob Robertson, who was named winner of the Keith Jackson Award. He’ll be honored later this month.
- The Mariners will induct Randy Johnson and Dan Wilson into their team hall of fame, which is up to six members.
- Also as noted in the previous link, the Mariners have settled on contracts with all of their arbitration-eligible players – which saves both sides from a major headache.
- John Sickels updated his Seattle Mariners Top 20 Prospects list. There is a new #1, due to the trade.
- Here’s a new one, from Iowa: one of the I-Cubs corporate sales guys played for their new manager.
Check out the new Cheney Stadium playing surface (click to enlarge):
Photo credit: Ashley Roth, official photographer of the No-Name Blog.