There wasn’t any Rainiers news this weekend, but there were a number of interesting Mariners-related stories, so let’s just hit the links.
- At one point over the weekend, the Mariners were thought to be the leaders to acquire Japanese pitcher Hasashi Iwakuma. But when the dust settled, it was division rival Oakland the submitted the winning bid. The A’s now have six starting pitchers, and will likely do some trading.
- Kirby Arnold filed another information-packed notebook from the Arizona Fall League. He has notes on Dustin Ackley and Josh Lueke, among others.
- Speaking of Kirby, he had a vote for AL Cy Young Award this year, and he details the process he went through, and shares his final ballot here. The awards get announced next week.
- At The News Tribune, Ryan Divish has an Erik Bedard Timeline that will make your shoulder throb, and Larry LaRue talks about the M’s attempts to acquire a hitter, and also promotes a candidate for Rainiers Pitching Coach.
- Larry Stone wrote about new Mariners bench coach Robby Thompson. I actually attended the game he writes about – it was a year-after-college road trip, with three buddies, to LA to see how the pennant race would end. We saw the Giants beat the Dodgers on Saturday, with the late Rod Beck nailing down the save, and then Sunday was a total blowout that put the Braves in the playoffs. Since the Giants won the series, perhaps Dusty Baker will stop getting grief about starting rookie Solomon Torres instead of veteran Scott Sanderson in that game. I think it was Bob Costas who dubbed this the “Last Great Pennant Race.”
- Two players drafted from Washington high schools in 2010 made the Tampa Bay Rays Top-10 prospects according to Baseball America. The list is free, the full write-ups require subscription.
I’m glad we have some baseball news to read, because this has been just a miserable football season, hasn’t it? I became a Mariners/Rainiers fan over a decade ago, but my football fandomhood still lies with Bay Area teams of my youth (49ers) and college (Cal). And I’ll tell you, this football season has been just as bad and disappointing for me as it has been for all you Seahawks/Huskies/Cougars fans. Pac-10 hoops can’t get here fast enough!