The Rainiers play the final game of the four-game trip to Reno tonight at 7:05.
Reno has won two of three so far, including a 12-7 decision Monday evening that wasn’t very close – it was 11-0 going to the eighth inning. There really isn’t much to say about it – the Rainiers got hammered, plain and simple.
Salt Lake ended its five-game losing streak last night with a 7-6 win over Sacramento. The Bees gained a game in the standing and now trail Tacoma by 2.5 games with 14 remaining.
Tacoma has some conflicting streaks right now. The Rainiers have won 7 of their last 11 games overall, but they are struggling away from Cheney Stadium: Tacoma has lost 13 of the last 14 road games. Fortunately, the Rainiers begin a nine-game homestand on Wednesday, with the PCL-worst Portland Beavers coming to town for the last time in their franchise history.
Tonight’s game will be broadcast live as always, on 850 AM and streaming via www.tacomarainiers.com. Tacoma starts RHP Blake Beavan (2-1, 5.40) against Reno RHP Matt Torra (10-6, 4.07).
- Here is my Rainiers game story for The News Tribune, and here is the version from the Reno Gazette-Journal.
- Former MLB star Mike Hampton pitched an inning for Reno last night – his first outing of 2010.
- The Mariners lost in Boston last night due to an error by a normally sure-handed outfielder. A little rain in Boston is no problem for skipper Daren Brown.
- Here’s the story on Salt Lake’s win over Sacramento last night. Mark Trumbo hit his 30th home run, and he has 104 RBI.
- Fresno scored 11 runs in the sixth inning to beat Colorado Springs – amazingly, all 11 hits in the inning were singles. The Grizzlies now lead Sacramento by two games in the South. They start a 5-game series in Sacramento tomorrow. Fresno lost pitcher Matt Kinney to a drug suspension.
- The Rainiers have five games with woeful Portland coming up, but maybe the Beavers aren’t so woeful after all: they have won six straight road games. Hmmmm. Kyle Phillips is hitting well for Portland.
- The Dodger signed a two-year PDC extension with Albuquerque. It’s really looking like Round Rock (to Texas) and Oklahoma City (???) will be the only affiliate changes in the PCL – although I suppose Las Vegas is a wild card.
- Former Rainiers pitcher Matt Thornton is battling arm soreness.
Remember last time we were in Reno, and the Rainiers ran smack-dab into Bieber Mania? Well, check out who we’re barely missing on this trip: