The Rainiers made it to Colorado Springs today, and here’s hoping the entire team is napping while I type this. Everybody was up at 3:30 AM in order to travel here.
This is a big series, between first-place Tacoma and second-place Colorado Springs on the home turf of the Sky Sox.
Tacoma expanded its lead to 3.5 games by winning in Sacramento last night, 7-5. The Rainiers salvaged a split of the series and are now 5-3 on this marathon road trip.
The Sky Sox lost in Las Vegas last night, 12-7. They split with the 51′s – in fact, the Sky Sox have split their last three series in a row.
Look out for Corey Dickerson. The Sky Sox outfielder is on an amazing ten-game hitting streak. The amazing part is that all ten games have been multiple-hit outings – he’s on a ten-game multiple hit streak. He’s gone 22-for-38 (.579) during the streak, boosting his season average to a PCL-leading .382. He also still leads professional baseball with 13 triples. Come on, Rockies, call him up already!
The Rainiers will make some roster moves tonight. Leury Bonilla will rejoin the team from Double-A Jackson, and he’ll provide badly needed infield depth while Brad Miller battles his finger injury.
There is lots of speculation that Alex Liddi has been sent down, with the Mariners activating Justin Smoak. All I know for sure right now is that Smoak did not travel with the team to the Springs.
Tonight’s game is at 6:05 (Pacific), and you can hear it on South Sound Sports 850 AM and streaming online right here. Smart phones, iPads, etc – use the TuneIn app. Tacoma starts RHP Erasmo Ramirez (2-1, 0.87) against Sky Sox RHP Chris Volstad (3-1, 5.31).
- Read about last night’s Tacoma win in the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Mariners got creamed in Anaheim.
- Mike Zunino is going to school.
- First round draft pick DJ Peterson has joined the Everett AquaSox, but has not played yet.
- We have a few details on the Sky Sox loss at Las Vegas last night.
- Salt Lake stunned Fresno last night: five runs in the 9th to tie, 6-6, and then three runs in the 10th to win it, 9-6.
- The Isotopes completed a four-game sweep of Memphis. Not sure if they also won that brawl.
- Round Rock destroyed Oklahoma City, 12-2.
That’s it for today, off to the ballpark!