Baseball America posted the Top-20 Prospects list for the Pacific Coast League today, and two Tacoma Rainiers appear on it.
Dustin Ackley was ranked #2, behind #1 prospect Brett Lawrie (Las Vegas/Toronto). And Alex Liddi made the cut as well, checking in at #19.
With 16 teams in the PCL, getting two players on this list is no easy feat. League champion Omaha led the way with three players on the list.
A couple more notes:
- At The Seattle Times, Larry Stone submitted his 2011 MLB Awards. A few good debates in here, as he explains.
- On Friday, Stone posted a run-down on all of the Mariners minor leaguers (and a few major leaguers) who are playing winter ball. Then, Jay Yencich at USS Mariner followed up with some analysis.
- The above winter ball posts made me wonder… is Johermyn Chavez now known as Yohermyn Chavez? Both posts have the Class-AA outfielder spelled with a Y; that’s a new development (it’s pronounced like a Y, that we know: it’s like “You’re Mean, Chavez!”). Also, there continues to be conflicting reports on Everett pitcher Campos – nobody seems to definitively know if he goes by Jose or Vicente. These are the players to be named later!
- Lots about the Mariners player payroll options from Geoff Baker at the Times, and then over at USS Mariner David Cameron suggests some inexpensive upgrades.
- The Tucson Padres are hosting the Mexican Baseball Fiesta, and it’s getting good crowds with the help of a big Mexican rivalry. Meanwhile, now cancer-free Padres pitcher Josh Geer is using the event to stage a comeback.
Playoff doubleheader today!